Sunday, September 18, 2011

Learnin to Fly


There have been a few events this month that have left me feeling proud, honored, excited, motivated and happy. Today was one of those days. We had our first Charity Ride at Fly to raise money for Charity Water. We took the bikes outside for the first time, over to the hotel across the way. There were volunteers, donated coffee and pastries, an amazing DJ to spin during our ride and we raised over $2000!!! It was just......pure awesome. I have been teaching cycling for a little over 6 months and it has become my favorite class ever. There really is something magical about teaching that class. I think because for me, that is one of the few places I can really LET GO. I ride that bike and feel so connected to my body and the music. I can clear my mind, forgive myself for anything, feel strong and powerful, feel emotions that I need to feel. Today, I taught a class way out of my comfort zone. I had a mic for the first time, we were outside on the waterfront, it was a big event. I was so nervous but oh so excited. I am just proud of myself for today... I put that mic on and just felt good. The music was bumpin, the class was pumped up, the vibe was one of a kind. There was a breeze that kept coming through the tent and every time it did, I thought of my mom. There is a poem she wrote before she died and it says, "the breeze on your cheek is me." That wind would come through our tent and I knew without a doubt that she was there. She was probably sayin, "you go girl!"

It doesnt matter where I teach or how big the event is, I instantly try to find a connection to each person in the class because that is what matters. That connection is why I teach. The energy that a positive, hard working group can create is so unique and powerful. I felt it so strong today. As I was teaching this morning I really took it all in. 6 months ago I was afraid to get on a teacher's bike. I remember driving to the YMCA, telling myself that no matter what happened, I would be okay. I remember how terrified I was, I almost didn't go. I remember the first time I taught at Fly and Traci threw me up on the bike. She asked me if I was ready and I am sure I said "oh ya, totally ready." but on the inside I was dying. Scared out of my brain! The thing that I am most proud of is that I knew I wanted to do this. I knew I loved fitness and people and feeling healthy. I pushed past all of the fear and here I am today, feeling so comfortable teaching it feels like second nature.
I have had quite a few people tell me that this is my "year to soar." This is my year to find myself and really find my happiness. Each time I take a risk or step out of my comfort zone, I feel myself soar.
Today was so validating. It felt so good to know I am in the right place, for the first time in my life I don't feel lost.

3 comments:

  1. Great bog Casey, keep writing and spinning...please:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Kris! I truly value your opinion and thank you so much for reading!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casey, your classes (and this blog) are amazing. The bit about the breeze on your cheek gave me goosebumps. I am so happy you are in such a good place, and so glad I have met you. You never cease to inspire and motivate me with you enthusiasm and love of life. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete