Sunday, February 13, 2011

Dutch's Fave Foods

Being a mom means you are usually the one to buy the groceries and feed the family. Mom's get the privilege of introducing the joy of food to their bambinos and establish the family food dynamic. I personally love this job and find grocery shopping very relaxing. Dutch seems to get a kick out of the grocery store, so its a win win. I love food and I hope my son finds pleasure in it too! Not only is eating fueling our bodies, but it tastes amazing, especially when it is healthy.

Here are some of Dutch's faves:

1. Avocado-Plain or on top of eggs (favorite number two), my boy can eat a half of an avocado in one sitting, easy. Avocado's are full of beta carotene and antioxidants. They are great for eye and hearth health along with a number of other positive health benefits.

2. Cage Free scrambled eggs-Once these babies cool down, Dutch can pick them up with his fingers and feed himself. I go with cage free, because although slightly more expensive, I have seen one too many documentaries about the disgusting conditions of caged chickens. I don't want my son eating a sad caged, mistreated animals anything. He needs to be eating a happy chicken! Eggs are a great protein source!

3. Whole Wheat Cinnamon Toast-I put some butter, cinnamon and xylitol on a piece of whole wheat toast and cut it up, so once again, Mr. Independent can feed himself. Xylitol is good for the teeth and butter is a great fat for growing boys. The whole wheat toast gets him some grain and vuala! A delicious breakfast!

4. Tofu- High in protein, vitamins and promotes healthy cholesterol. I get a little worried about him chewing meat so this is great because it is easy to eat and it absorbs whatever flavor you add to it. I usually just cook it in olive oil and a bit of seasoning. You can make it sweet or savory.

5. Yogurt-This is a recent fave because the first time he tried it, I picked the wrong flavor. Plain with a little vanilla was too sour! Dutch loves the Greek Gods Palmegranite flavored yogurt and so does his dad! I stay away from alot of the yogurts marketed towards kids because they add alot of sugars and chemicals to make it taste good, which is so sad! Dont do that people! I read labels and make sure the yogurt does not contain anything with -lose at the end like sucralose, glucose, etc. because that is just added sugar. If the label says too many words that I can't pronounce, then I do not buy. I love the Greek Gods brand. Yogurt has the healthy probiotics that our bodies need to digest food. There are about three or four that you will see on your yogurt label and although hard to pronounce, you do want them in your babies. These are the pectin and active cultures that create the good bacteria their little tummies need.

I know Dutch has chosen his favorite foods wisely, because his wise mama is helping, of corse! I want to teach my son that food can fuel his body in a way that can make him have a ton of energy. I know his dad will take him to McDonalds now and then (once a year at most if I can help it) and I am not going to worry about that. I think its about balance, eating healthy as much as you can, and trying new things. I would put these on my top five and I follow the same guidlines. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment